Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Bakery Key!

I was very excited to find that our nearest bakery had published a free flyer on all the breads they carry in stock! It is somewhat daunting, as you are standing in line, to actually peruse the selection. When you reach the front, you are expected to know what you want, order quickly, have something near the correct amount in small bills and/or change, and move on out, because the German bread is soooo good that there are almost always people waiting, or the bakers have to scurry back and keep the fresh bread coming.

At first, we only ordered Brotchen, which is what I would have called a kaiser roll back in the States, or a baguette, a simple loaf of French bread. Of course, I would never utter the words "kaiser roll" or "French bread" in Germany! What is that about the kaiser? the locals would wonder. We are not French! Nor is the bread! they might think indignantly.

Branching out to Ciabatta -- truly Italian -- and then a brave step to Halbweiss (half-white, half-wheat) or Bauernbrot (farmer's bread) was about it for me. No way was I going to step out for Kastenweissbrot or Holzklotzle without a little research! And now the path is open. I have not yet begun my research as to what these actually are, but at least I can parse the mysteries of Glyx Brot in the privacy of my own home.

Any recommendations? They are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment